This document covers
- Check the ITR Status now
- Note on IT Refunds in India
- How long it would take to get my IT Refund?
- How to read IT Refund Statuses ?
1. Check the ITR Status now
Keep the below information handy when checking
- Assessment Year (AY)
- Your mobile number
Assessment Year (AY) means: It is the twelve-month period 1st April to 31st March immediately following the financial year. In the Assessment year a person files his return for the income earned in the financial year. For example for FY: 2022-23 the AY is 2023-24
Steps to check Refund status post loginNew
2. Note on IT Refunds in India
IT Refunds in India depends on many factors. While it takes 2-3 months during early months of filing for an assessment year (eg. Apr-Jun), it takes many more months if you happened to file after Jun (i.e., peak months of ITR processing). In addition, if you have received an IT notice, the refund would be granted only after the received notice(s) have resolved.
As on Feb 2021, ITD implemented new Refund Processing System to enable faster Refund processing with an expected turnaround of just few days instead of few months.
3. How long it would take to get my IT Refund?
Despite the fact that refund processing time is dependent on a number of factors, such as the history of audits, previous IT notices from the Income tax Department (ITD), and claims for large refunds, etc., according to the most recent knowledge (Aug 2023), what is a reasonable estimation based on the type of ITR form you have filed?
Individuals with ordinary income, salary. Takes a week to few weeks to get the refund.
Capital Gains, or multiple salaries. Takes a month to few months to get the refund.
Business income, F&Os, Commission income. Takes a few months to an year to get the refund.
4. How to read IT Refund Statuses ?
- Your assessing officer has not sent this refund to Refund Banker. In this case, you need to wait for some time.
- Refund is already credited to your bank, please contact your bank.
- Unable to credit refund as the account number provided by you is incorrect. Once corrected, Submit a Refund Re-Issue
- Refund cheque has been enchased: It means cheque issued by the IT department has been received by the taxpayer and has been enchased. Check with your Family.
- Refund expired: If income tax refund cheque is not deposited within 90 days, it will expire. In this case, the taxpayer has to apply for re-issue of cheque.
- Refund returned: This means cheque sent via Speed Post is not delivered and is returned back to IT department. In this case, the refund is cancelled and the taxpayer has to apply for reissue of the cheque.
- Refund adjustment: Refund adjusted against previous year's outstanding demand, this status appears when there is an outstanding demand which is not been paid, such demand has been adjusted against the refund. But before adjusting the same, department will send a notice intimating the adjustment.